The mission of our camp is to create a fun, safe environment where campers with disabilities (ages 6-65+) have the opportunity to increase skills and independence through educational, therapeutic, and recreational activities that may otherwise not be available to them, and to provide much needed respite for their families.
Volunteers are vital to our camp operation and assist in multiple ways, including:
- Swimming at the Port Townsend Pool
- Back Country Horsemen and their trained volunteers in horseback riding activities
- Fishing trips: baiting hooks, netting and cleaning fish
- Field trips to Port Townsend
- Arts & Crafts projects, nature walks, campfire activities
- Night-time entertainment – musicians, magicians, clowns, talent shows
- Food service, laundry, facilities maintenance
- Setting up and breaking down camp
Camp Beausite NW, originally known as the NW Kiwanis Camp, has been providing camp services to adults and children with disabilities for over 25 years. We are a 501 (c) (3) non-profit organization funded through donations from individuals, groups, organizations, businesses; fund raising activities; camper fees; facility rentals; foundation grants; and support services from the Department of Health and Human Services for individual campers, who are eligible for coverage.
Our campers come from all over the State of Washington, and from as far away as British Columbia and Hawaii. They range in age from 6 – 65+, and are diagnosed with a wide range and degree of disabilities.
However, our campers also have many ABILITIES, which are highlighted during our weekly talent shows. They include singing; dancing; acting; telling stories and jokes; and creativity, as demonstrated in the arts and craft projects they make at camp. In addition, many of our campers are great students, have jobs, are active in community projects, serve as volunteers in their communities, and are STAR athletes in the Special Olympics.
Our staff, counselors, and volunteers at Camp Beausite learn way more from our Campers than they do from us!!!!!!